Speech Therapy offers the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up services for inpatients and outpatients in the following areas:
- Modified Barium Swallow Studies: a video fluoroscopic exam that uses a form of real-time x-ray to evaluate a patient's ability swallow safety and effectively.
- Speech: including disorders of articulation, fluency and voice.
- Language: including disorders of receptive and expressive communication.
- Dysphagia: including disorders of swallowing and oral function for feeding.
- Cognitive Aspects of Communication: including communication disability and other functional disabilities associated with cognitive impairment.
The JMH speech therapist will develop an individualized treatment plan with the focus of re-establishing functional communication. Treatment goals may also address specific communication-cognitive deficits through a variety of treatment techniques. Physician Referrals are required for Speech/Swallowing Evaluation and Therapy.
The speech therapy staff includes NYS licensed professionals with advanced training in speech-language pathology who are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.