Procedures for Visas
- Visas will be for a period of one year or longer.
- Visa will begin either in January or July of each year.
- Complete Visa Applications will only be accepted in March and October.
*PLEASE NOTE that visas are taking up to six months to complete. If you are planning on having a scholar start here in January, all paperwork must be submitted in March the prior year (i.e., submit paperwork in March 2016 for a January 2017 start date). If you want them to start in July, all paperwork must be submitted by the October deadline.
- A complete visa application consists of the following paperwork:
- A completed SMD J-1 Scholar Job Code Proposal Form (Just the information needs to be completed by the PI, signatures will be obtained by Administrator)
- Completed J-1 English Proficiency Assessment Form, with supporting documentation
- Completed J-1 Exchange Visitor Questionnaire
- A photograph of the J-1 application with name printed on the back (different than passport photo)
- Copy of identity pages of a valid passport
- Copy of CV
- Proof of permanent residency if applicant is a citizen of one country, but legal permanent resident of another
- If applicant is not going to be paid through the University, applicant MUST provide proof of funding and it must be:
- Written in English
- On letterhead from the funding source
- Signed by someone with the authority to dispense the funds from the funding organization
- Include specific dates of funding coverage (i.e., 7/1/16-6/30/18 and not July 2016)
- Include amount of funding in US DOLLARS
- If home country is paying for health insurance, it must also be clearly written in the funding letter. Health insurance is approximately $7,500 each year. Please note that postdoc may not use their salary to purchase outside insurance.
- If the applicant is going to be paid through the University, please state how you will be paying for them (i.e., grant, etc.), remembering that you have to include $7,500 for health insurance
- Copies of all degrees and certificates earned, with the English translation
- If the Scholar will be accompanied by dependents, you must also include the following in your application package:
- Dependent Questionnaire (one for each dependent)
- Copy of identify pages of passport for each dependent
- For spouse, a copy of marriage certificate translated into English
- For child(ren), a copy of birth certificate translated into English
- A photograph of each dependent, with name printed on back (different than passport photo)
- A completed Intellectual Property Agreement signed by Visitor’s employer
- If a scholar is planning on shadowing in the Clinic or Operating Room, additional forms must be completed. See Catherine Muzytchuk for these additional forms:
- SMD Orthopaedic Unpaid Clinical Shadowing Program Application and Approval Form
- Letter of Agreement
- Short Term Observational Experience Immunization Requirement Checklist
SMD J-1 Scholar Job Code Proposal Form
English Proficiency Assessment Form
Exchange Visitor Questionnaire
Intellectual Property Agreement