Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine
The Transfusion Service, Autologous Donation Program and Immunohematology Reference Laboratory are all accredited by AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks).
Our stem cell processing laboratory is accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) and covers the processing and storage of peripheral stem cells and bone marrow products in preparation for transplant.
These programs provide the most complete services of their kind in the area. URMC is also one of the few medical centers in the United States, and perhaps the world, that transfuses only blood components that are ABO identical to the patient, leukocyte reduced and irradiated. These processes greatly contribute to transfusion safety and improved clinical outcomes for the patient.
Learn about our Patient Blood Management Program.
- Type and screens
- Direct antiglobulin testing
- Crossmatching of blood products
- Fetal cell detection assays
- Newborn investigations
- Transfusion reaction investigations
- Resolution of complex serologic problems with advanced serologic techniques
Blood products prepared and made available for transfusion:
- Red blood cells
- Thawed plasma
- Neil Blumberg, M.D., Lab Director
- Majed Refaai, M.D., Associate Director
- Phuong-Lan Nguyen, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Akua Asante, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Christine Cahill, MS, RN, Nurse Coordinator, Patient Blood Management
For more information, or to request services, please contact us.
Debra Masel, Chief Supervisor: (585) 275-9658
Aimee Kievitt, Lab Supervisor: (585) 275-9661
Attending physicians and pathology residents specializing in transfusion medicine and transfusion immunology are available for consultation 24/7.