REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) Launch REDCap REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a free, secure, HIPAA-compliant, web-based application used for electronic capture and management of research and clinical study data. The REDCap system, developed by Vanderbilt University, provides an intuitive user interface to enter, audit, monitor, and export data. It also helps users to create web-based surveys. REDCap is available to all University of Rochester members.
- A user access dashboard, to allow you to view and change which users have access to your projects
- Multiple surveys per project
- Patient randomization module
- New grid control for capturing user input in a tabular format
- REDCap Extensions to customize REDCap’s behavior on certain pages
- A Data Dictionary Codebook that displays a human-readable version of the project’s data dictionary
- Survey Queue, to list all of a participant’s surveys on a single page
- Piping, which allows you to insert previously collected data into text on a form or survey (for example, a participant’s first and last name).
- Availability: Software is available at no cost for University of Rochester research teams.
- Secure and web-based: Input data or build an online survey from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: Conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Multi-site access: REDCap databases and surveys can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Autonomous utilization: Research groups have complete autonomy and control to add new users. Export data to common data analysis packages. Exports raw data and syntax files for SAS, Stata, R, and SPSS.
- Fully customizable: You are in total control of shaping your database or survey. HIPAA compliance: REDCap is fully HIPAA compliant.
- Advanced features: Mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, and calculated fields.
The first time you log into the REDCap system a new account will be created. We encourage users to create and account and play around with a few test databases to get acquainted with the system. REDCap runs at https://redcap.urmc.rochester.edu/. If you would prefer to have one of us show you some of the features or if you have questions about using REDCap for a specific study, please set up a free in-person consultation.
Additional Features and Functions
To learn more about REDCap, demonstration and tutorial videos are currently available on the National REDCap Consortium website: https://projectredcap.org/resources/videos/
REDCap is available for use to the URMC Community at no cost.
If the requester wishes to retain the services of a development consultant to design REDCap databases, data entry forms, or surveys, please contact the Research & Academic IT team. These consulting services are available on a recharge consulting basis.
REDCap is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Support services for REDCap are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM.
For help with questions, or support issues, use the following link:
REDCap Support Request
Further information about the REDCap service is available through the for Clinical and Translational Institute.