Population Health Coordinating Committee
The Population Health Coordinating Committee (PHCC), led by Dr. Nana Bennett, MD MS, is an interdisciplinary, interdepartmental group that serves as a resource to advance research and education programs in population health and community engagement at the University of Rochester. This committee evolved over time from the Community Health Interest Group, which began in 2006 and brought together URMC faculty and staff with a strong interest in promoting community health improvement efforts. The PHCC collaborates with clinical and community service programs across the University, and fosters discussion about relevant events, activities, developments and progress at local, regional and national levels. The PHCC meets every other month and is convened by the Center for Community Health & Prevention and the Clinical and Translational Science Institute. To inquire about membership, contact The Center for Community Health & Prevention.
Faculty from a variety of departments, focused on community and population health, also have the opportunity to have secondary appointments in the Center for Community Health & Prevention. To date, seventeen faculty have secondary appointments. Specifics on the committee can be found here in the Charter. For additional information about the PHCC and the process for faculty secondary appointments, please contact Indrani Singh by email or phone (585) 224-3057.
Included among the PHCC’s accomplishments:
- Developed the annual Dr. David Satcher Community Health Improvement Awards to increase professional recognition for exemplary community-engaged work.
- Launched “Project Rochester” a Community Orientation Series to enhance the professional development of all faculty and staff about the history of our community, current community health and social issues, and options for community engagement.
- Created the Community Health Mini-Grant Program to help enhance university-community partnership work by funding meeting expenses, food for focus groups, transportation, etc.
- Contributed to the revision of the Promotion and Tenure guidelines to reflect the value of community engaged research.
- Created a resource for Evaluating Community Engagement in an Academic Medical Center.