The Promote HEALTH* (previously Promote Health. Prevent Cancer.) initiative, in partnership with Wilmot Cancer Institute, empowers participants through evidence-based health promotion and chronic disease prevention education. Promote HEALTH offers both virtual and in-person classes. Responding to the various health needs of community members is important to us and we want to continue to meet you where you are, where you feel most comfortable.
Healthy Living Classes
What you eat and how much you move can impact your risk of chronic diseases. Promote HEALTH is a free eight-week program aimed at empowering participants to make and maintain changes in diet, physical activity and exposures. Join others with similar health goals and learn how small changes can add up to make a big difference in increasing your overall health and well-being.
The class will meet for eight consecutive weeks, no exercise equipment needed. Classes are offered at different times of the year throughout the Finger Lakes region.
In-Person Class Format
Each class is one hour and 30 minutes and includes nutrition education and physical activity. These 30-minute exercise videos are an example of exercises participants will learn in class.
Virtual Class Format
Class topics are the same as the in-person class. Join from the comfort of your home. Enrolled participants will receive a link to join the virtual classes in advance of the course.
Class Topics & Curriculum
- Personal Values & Goal Setting
- Healthy Eating Patterns & Portion Sizes
- Nutrition Label Reading & Healthful Smart Shopping
- Whole Grains, Vegetables, Fruits & Beans
- Added Sugars & Sweetened Beverages
- Protein, Red & Processed Meats
- Processed Foods, Fast Foods & Fat
- Health Behaviors & Lifestyle Choices
Curriculum is based on the following evidence-based sources:
The eight class topics are also offered as individual one-hour presentations. These health talks, given by members of our team, are available for community groups, places of worship and more.
Interested in Hosting a Program or Health Talk for Your Community/Agency?
Please contact our team at (585) 350-9190 or email us at PromoteHEALTH@urmc.rochester.edu.
What You Gain
Participants leave with the knowledge of how their dietary choices, physical activity and environmental exposures can affect chronic disease risk.
Looking for a class near you or want to find out more?
Regional Program Coordinator
* Promote HEALTH ("Honoring Eating and Active Living Together for Health") provides a safe space for program participants to be able to honor where they are in their lives, join together in group discussion about eating and physical activity, and support overall health and well-being.