Getting Your Vaccine
First and Second Doses
Bivalent Booster Shots
- Booster shots are recommended for individuals age 5 years and older who have completed a primary series of the Pfizer vaccine (two doses) and for individuals 18 and older who have completed a primary series of the Moderna vaccine (two doses) or the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (one dose).
- As of September 1, 2022, updated COVID-19 booster shots from Pfizer-BioNTech for people ages 12 years and older and from Moderna for people ages 18 years and older were endorsed by the CDC. They were both authorized by the FDA. Updated COVID-19 boosters add Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 spike protein components to the current vaccine composition, helping to restore protection that has waned since previous vaccination by targeting variants that are more transmissible and immune-evading. These are called "bivalent boosters."
Where to Get Your Vaccine
To find a COVID-19 vaccine near you, visit vaccines.gov or call 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489).
You can also check with:
- Your healthcare provider: Many doctor’s offices and health clinics offer COVID-19 vaccines for their patients. Appointments are usually required.
- Your neighborhood pharmacy: Most chain and independent pharmacies provide vaccine. Appointments are often required.
- Your local health department: Many county health departments in the Finger Lakes region offer COVID-19 vaccine to residents. Appointments may be required.