Skip to main content
Eastman Institute for Oral Health / Educational Programs / Frequently Asked Questions


Application Questions and Answers

What are the prerequisites for admission?

Candidates for admission must be qualified graduates in dentistry with a genuine interest in advanced training, either in General Dentistry or in one of the following specialized areas:  General Practice Residency Program, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orofacial Pain, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, and Prosthodontics.  All residency and postdoctoral training programs include advanced study in both the clinical and basic sciences of dentistry and research.

What is required for an application for admission?

  • Application
  • Application Fee
  • Letters of Recommendation (3)
  • Curriculum Vitae/Resume
  • Personal Statement
  • Transcripts and WES ICAP evaluations for transcripts issued by institutions outside the U.S. and Canada
  • Copy of Dental School Diploma
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), as applicable (School code: 9487)
  • NBDE Results for GME Residency Programs (Part 1 required, Part 2, if taken)

When are applications reviewed and by whom?

Applications are reviewed as they are received by Program Directors and Admissions Committee Members.

When do admissions interviews occur?

In person interviews are by invitation only. Each program begins to schedule interviews within a month of the application deadline. Invitations to interview are generally made by email.

When will I know if I've been accepted?

Admissions Committees meet to make admissions decisions shortly after interviews conclude. Residency programs that utilize the MATCH adhere to the dates identified by the National Matching Service for MATCH lists and release of MATCH results. View a schedule of important dates for the MATCH.

Programs that do not require registration through MATCH generally notify candidates of admissions decisions within a month after the conclusion of all interviews.   

How will I know if I haven’t been offered admission?

Once a decision regarding your application has been made, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office to inform you that you have or have not been offered admission. If you have not received such an email, the program may still be reviewing your application.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

  • Applicants must be proficient in the English language.
  • Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL.
  • Successful completion of the TOEFL ibt with a score of 85 or above is required. No exceptions are granted for the minimum score requirement. 
  • TOEFL scores are considered valid within a 2 year period of original test date.

Transcript Evaluation - WES ICAP

Applicants who graduated from foreign dental schools are required to submit credentials evaluated through World Education Service. The WES ICAP evaluation provided a detailed course by course analysis: identifies, describes and provides a U.S. equivalency for each credential, lists all subjects with their corresponding credits, grades and GPA expressed in U.S. 4.0 scale. 

Is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required for admission?

A GRE is not required for residency or postdoctoral dental training programs. A GRE is required for application to MS programs. 

Is the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) required for admission?

The NBDE Part I (passed) and II (if taken and passed) is required for GME Dental Residency Programs but is not required for Postdoctoral Dental Training Programs for Foreign-Trained Dentists.

Is the Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) required for admission?

The ADAT is not required for admission. 

What is the difference between a Graduate Medical Education Residency and a Postgraduate Dental Training Program for Foreign-trained Dentists?

Applicants to GME Dental Residency Programs must have graduated from a dental school located in the U.S. or Canada that is fully approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or have successfully completed a 2-year program in Advanced Education in General Dentistry from a U.S. dental school.

GME Dental Residency Programs provide an annual stipend and employee benefits including health insurance and tuition assistance. 

Applicants to Postdoctoral Dental Training Programs have graduated from dental schools outside the U.S. and Canada that are most often not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).

These programs are tuition based and do not provide an annual stipend. 

Eligibility for GME Residency vs Eligibility for Postgraduate Dental Training Program for Foreign-trained Dentists

Eligibility is determined based on where the dental degree was earned.

GME Dental Residency Program

  • Dental Degree earned at a dental school located in the United States or Canada that is fully approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or
  • Foreign-trained dentists who have successfully completed a 24 month Advanced Education in General Dentistry program located in the U.S. and fully approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
  • Eligible for dental licensure in the U.S.

Postgraduate Dental Training Program

  • Dental Degree earned at a dental school outside the United States or Canada that is not fully approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
  • Not eligible for dental licensure without successful completion of at least 2 or more years of advanced education in general dentistry training and a GME residency program plus any additional requirements of each individual State licensing board. 

Information regarding the additional requirements of each State licensing board can be found on the following websites:

New York State – Title 8, Article 133, Section 6604 of NYS Education Law and Part 61 of the Commissioner's Regulations.

Other States with the U.S. search for links via – American Dental Association (ADA)

Is financial aid available?

Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Please visit the SMD Financial Aid Office website or call the Office at (585) 275-4523

Trainees utilize a continuation of resources including personal funds and private loans to cover the cost of tuition, fees and living expenses. Scholarships are not offered. 

How much does it cost to apply?

Applications submitted through PASS are subject to the application fees for use of the online service.  Some of our programs require an additional application fee of $195. Programs requiring the additional fee note this in the program description page on the ADEA PASS website. 

What is the cost of tuition?

Please visit the Tuition and Fees webpage for more information on the tuition and fees associated with each program.

Is licensure required to apply to your programs?

No, licensure is not required to apply for any of the programs. However, applicants accepted into the AEGD, GPR, PEDS and OMFS residency programs must register with the New York State Education Department each year for the duration of the program. An annual $105 registration fee is the responsibility of the resident. The EIOH Registrar’s Office coordinates the registration for our residents.

International Applicants

Who is considered an International Applicant?

International applicants are individuals who need a visa in order to study or live in the U.S. Individuals who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America, no matter where in the world they live or go to school, are not considered international applicants.

International students must meet the same requirements and deadlines as all other applicants. All application materials and recommendations must be written or translated in English.

Are there any requirements specific to an International Applicant?

Applicants presenting international educational credentials must possess a university degree that is recognized as equivalent to a U.S. dental degree prior to beginning training.

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official Test of English as a Foreign Language score that is within 2 years of the original test date.

Is waiver of the TOEFL requirement possible?

Exceptions to the TOEFL requirement may be granted for applicants who have earned a dental degree from an accredited college or university in a country where English is an official language and where all instruction is provided in English. An exception for the TOEFL will be considered with a written request submitted to EIOH Admissions Office.

Completion of a graduate level degree at an institution where the instruction is conducted in English does not exempt an applicant from the TOEFL requirement.

What type of visa will I need to obtain if accepted?

Upon acceptance, candidates will be instructed to complete paperwork necessary to apply for an F-1 Student Visa.

For other questions not covered here, please email the EIOH Admissions Office.