Career Engagement, Revitalization and Transition
Co-sponsored by the University of Rochester Clinical & Translational Science Institute and SMD Office for Faculty Development.
CERT is held biennially, and will be held again next Fall, 2022.
Within academics, challenges with career advancement, continued engagement, and transitions from one stage to another abound. This course is designed to help Associate Professors and Professors in academic medicine gain the skills they need to remain productive and engaged through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice, and to guide participants in smoothly transitioning from one stage in their career to the next.
The Career Engagement, Revitalization, and Transition (CERT) Program is a year-long program created to address a professional development need for mid and later career individuals engaged in any of the career paths available in academic medicine. It is designed to facilitate transitions based on practical knowledge from local experts and peers. CERT addresses the following domains:
- Career advancement (all career paths)
- Leadership and management
- Transitioning to retirement
- Communication skills
Upon completion of the CERT program, participants will have enhanced their abilities to:
- Identify the necessary resources for career advancement including University resources, opportunities for networking, leadership opportunities
- Both identify mentors and be a mentor
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that include effective communication, negotiation, team management
- Use reflective practice and self-management strategies to develop and enhance their time management and well-being
- Apply knowledge and skills to one’s own career path through focused discussions and an experiential project
CERT is multi-faceted program that includes:
- Presentations by a variety of faculty members
- Independent learning and reflective practice
- Real-life application through an individual experiential project that addresses a personal need and focuses on facilitating continued career development and/ or transitions
- Submission of a career development project
- Engagement in a professional learning community of Associate Professors and Professors from a wide variety of departments, with different career trajectories and backgrounds
This program is designed to provide a professional development opportunity for URSMD faculty at the Associate Professor or Professor levels. It is cohort-based and size is limited.
- Ronnie Guillet, MD, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics (Neonatology)
- Janine R. Shapiro, MD, Associate Dean for Faculty Development, Medical Director for Continuing Medical Education, Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
In addition to the Program Directors, the CERT program includes selected guest faculty and facilitators.
This program is made possible through educational funds from the CTSI and the Dean’s office. There is no charge to faculty for attending this program.
URSMD faculty at the Associate Professor or Professor level are invited to apply for this program. This may include individuals engaged in clinical, educational, research, and/ or community missions. Application to this program implies a commitment to the program, to developing an individual career development project and submission of a summary of the implemented project.
Calls for applications will be in Spring, 2022.
A certificate of completion will be issued to all participants completing the program as determined by attendance at the seminars, the development and implementation of an individual career development project, and submission of a summary of the career development project. CME credits will also be provided.
For more information
Please contact Dr. Janine Shapiro or Dr. Ronnie Guillet for more information.