Education / Faculty Development / Senior Leadership Education and Development Program
Senior Leadership Education and Development Program
SLED 2023 - 2025 Call for Applications now closed
With the demands for healthcare transformation, senior leaders in academic health centers must meet complex and emerging challenges. Today’s leaders need new, innovative approaches to shape the future of healthcare, medical education, and research, and must be able to engage others in generating and implementing new pathways for success.
To develop senior leaders in academic medicine through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice, and to guide participants in being transformational leaders.
The Senior Leader Education and Development (SLED) Program is a two-year educational leadership development program created to address a professional development need in leadership development for senior leaders in academic medicine. It is designed to foster practical knowledge from recognized theoretical models and best practices. SLED addresses the following leadership domains:
- Setting Direction and Vision
- Leading by Developing Others
- Leading by Developing and Maintaining Organizational Efficiency (Administration and Management)
- Leading through Organizational Development
Upon completion of the SLED program, participants will have enhanced their abilities to:
- Describe effective academic leadership practices and capabilities
- Apply relevant leadership theories and frameworks to guide their ongoing leadership development and leadership effectiveness in various settings and situations
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that include effective communication, negotiation, performance management, strategic planning, and organizational development (e.g.. creating a shared vision, developing people and capacity, enabling change)
- Use reflective practice and self-management strategies to develop and enhance their personal leadership style
- Apply leadership knowledge and skills to the strategic and tactical issues facing URMC through focused discussions and an experiential leadership project
SLED is a multi-faceted two-year program that includes:
- Monthly virtual seminars (September-June), First Wednesdays, 11:30AM-1PM
- Independent learning and reflective practice
- Real-life application through an individual experiential mentored leadership project that addresses a programmatic or departmental/ institutional need and focuses on improving leadership competence and skills
- Presentation of planned leadership project in Year 1 at a dinner meeting
- Presentation of completed leadership project in Year 2 at a dinner meeting with participant’s Department Chairs/ Center Directors and mentors
- Engagement in a professional learning community of senior leaders and SLED Alumni
This two-year program is designed to provide a leadership development opportunity for URSMD faculty in senior leadership positions. It is cohort-based and size is limited. Priority will be given to faculty with significant leadership responsibilities.
Judith F. Baumhauer, MD, MPH, FAAOS, FAOA, Professor and Associate Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery, Director of UR Clinical Health Informatics Core, University of Rochester Medical Center
Janine R. Shapiro, MD, Associate Dean for Faculty Development, Medical Director for Continuing Medical Education, Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
In addition to the Program Directors, the SLED program may include selected guest faculty.
- Year 1: September, 2023 through June, 2024
- Year 2: September, 2024 through June, 2025
- Monthly virtual seminars: Third Wednesdays, 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm (September - May). Seminars will include virtual sessions and in-person sessions.
- Dinner meetings in June, Year 1 and in Year 2 (5:30 pm- 9:00 pm)
This program is made possible through educational funds from the Dean’s office. There is no charge to URSMD faculty for attending this program.
URSMD faculty at the Associate Professor or Professor level who have senior intra-departmental or interdepartmental leadership positions are invited to apply. This may include Vice- or Associate Chairs, Division Chiefs, or other major leadership roles across our clinical, educational, research, and community missions. The application cover letter must describe the faculty’s commitment to the program, to completing a focused mentored leadership project, and a summary of career goals. The complete application consists of the cover letter, a current CV, and a letter of support from the Department Chair/Center Director that includes the potential benefit of the SLED program to the individual and to the department/institution mission. Please combine all documents as a single PDF for submission and e-mail to the Office for Faculty Development. Applications are due on or before April 30, 2023. Applicants will be notified by May 15, 2023.
A certificate of completion will be issued to all participants completing the program, as determined by attendance at least at 70% of seminars, development and implementation of a focused mentored leadership project, and presentation of planned and implemented project in Year 1 and 2. CME credits will also be provided.
For more information
Please contact Dr. Janine Shapiro or Dr. Judy Baumhauer.