Neuroscience Graduate Program Student Solidarity Organization (NGP SSO)
We are a network of student activists and advocates within the NGP that speaks for the students on issues that concern us. We are building a long term organization to address, document, and advocate for student concerns, carving out a unique space exclusively for students. In summary, the primary purpose of this group is to:
- Create solidarity within the NGP across labs and locations.
- Build a space to air concerns and address grievances.
- Submit concerns to administration in a united way.
- Recommend changes in the NGP.
- Join with other student groups in advocating for our fellow students for broad changes at the URMC and the broader community.
- Host events and discussions related to relevant issues, current events, and personal experiences in a grad program.
We are currently composed of a steering committee of six members and several active working groups. These working groups are intended to discuss specific issues in detail and bring recommendations to the attention of the larger group. Initial working groups have been created to discuss racial issues at UR and political advocacy.
The NGP SSO held its inaugural meeting on August 10, 2020 and currently meets once a month. We held a discussion addressing the police killing of Daniel Prude and about the failings of the mental health care system on September 10, 2020. Going forward, we will meet on the 4th Monday of every month from 6-7pm.
Our membership is currently open to NGP students and postdocs. For more information you can: