- One of the largest and longest-running laboratories of its kind in Central and Western New York
- Three experienced renal pathologists available 7 days a week
- Native and transplant biopsies
- Diagnostic light microscopy, immunofluorescence, and electron microscopy
- Non-renal diagnostic service; cilia, muscle, nerve and other tissue
- Same-day service available
- Customized renal biopsy kits
- Flexible billing options
- State of the art technology
The Renal Pathology and Electron Microscopy (EM) laboratory provides diagnostic kidney biopsy services for medical renal disease and kidney transplants. The EM laboratory additionally provides diagnostic EM services for non-renal specimens, e.g. nerve and muscle, nasal brushings for ciliopathies, and malignancies.
The division is staffed by three renal pathologists with over 80 years of combined experience. Dr. Bruce Goldman is the Director of the Renal Pathology and Electron Microscopy Laboratory, which was established in 1960 by Dr. Bernard Panner. In addition to Dr. Goldman, the professional staff includes Dr. Jan Czyzyk and Dr. Panner, who currently serves as Pathologist Emeritus.
Renal Pathology provides expertise in the specialized laboratory services required in the diagnosis and characterization of medical renal diseases, including immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, transmission, scanning, and immunoelectron microscopy.
In addition to providing diagnostic services to the University of Rochester Medical Center, Renal Pathology has an active regional referral practice and also provides diagnostic services and high magnification imaging for renal research.
Meet Our Pathologists
To discuss a consultation, arrange for processing of a renal biopsy, discuss a research project or obtain more information, please call the Renal Pathology Division at (585) 275-1946.