Child and Adolescent Track
“Internship is such an exciting year, with opportunities to work in inter-professional healthcare settings and with diverse populations, so that you can advance your clinical skills, engage in ongoing learning, and shape your identity as a psychologist. We look forward to learning more about you and are excited to support your growth as a psychologist.” – Jennifer C. West, PhD, Child and Adolescent Track Training Director
The Child and Adolescent Psychology track provides a solid foundation for those interested in careers in patient care, teaching and research. The internship is comprised of didactic seminars and supervised clinical experiences for specialized training with children, adolescents, and families from diverse backgrounds in the many inter-professional settings where they seek care. There is a consistent emphasis on understanding patients and their families from both developmental and systems perspectives. Interns have the opportunity to serve in the role of supervisor to other trainees and may engage in leadership roles based on individual learning plans.
The Internship Cultivates
Because science is at the core of health service psychology, the internship addresses each of the competencies for the Standards of Accreditation: research; ethical and legal standards; individual and cultural diversity; professional values, attitudes, and behaviors; communication and interpersonal skills; assessment; intervention; supervision; and consultation and interprofessional/interdisciplinary skills.
- Outstanding inter-professional clinical training sites and patient populations, including inpatient, outpatient, and pediatric settings
- Specialty training in suicide prevention, including a Standardized Patient experience
- Accomplished faculty providing sustained mentorship and supervision
- Extensive training and practice in psychological testing
- Frequent meetings with training directors to discuss training plans and development
- Interdisciplinary collaboration within the department and medical center
“My skill as a clinician has grown tremendously with the opportunity to treat individuals with a wide range of diagnoses and be a valued member of multi-disciplinary teams.” – Doctoral Intern