College Student Program
The traditional Friends of Strong Summer College Program will be suspended for the May-August timeframe. We are tentatively planning on offering our fall volunteer program for new college students and adults beginning in late August, 2020. Please check our website beginning in June for updates, or contact our office at 585-275-2420.
Students currently enrolled in college are eligible to participate for three to four hours weekly for one and two semesters pThe traditional Friends of Strong Summer College program will be suspended for the May-August timeframe. We are tentatively planning on offering our fall volunteer program for new college students and adults beginning in late August, 2020. Please check our website beginning in June for updates, or contact our office at 585-275-2420.school year.
- Schedule a personal interview with one of our volunteer coordinators. You will learn about available volunteer opportunities at this meeting.
- Participate in a health appointment with URMC's Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. (There is no charge for this, nor need to schedule. All arrangements will be made for you through Friends of Strong.)
- Commit to a minimum of three to four hours of volunteer activities per week for one semester. Some departments require a two-semester commitment.
- Able to communicate clearly and fluently in English.
- After the group, personal and health appointments, you may also be required to attend an orientation session for the department where you are assigned.
- Agree to submit to a background check and any additional requirements that are mandated by the University of Rochester.
Frequently asked questions for college student volunteers
- How do I get started?
- Contact our receptionist at (585) 275-2420 and ask when our next group information session will be scheduled.
- I don't have many classes this semester. How much time can I volunteer per week?
- That would depend on the number of volunteers and opportunities we have available at any given time.
- Can I volunteer any time I want?
- Volunteer shifts may vary depending on the type of position we match you with. Currently, most placements occur during weekday hours, Monday through Friday. Occasionally we have evening and weekend positions available.
- What kinds of activities will I be doing?
- We offer a variety of activities in hospital departments and units. Some of those are Pediatrics, Patient Discharge, and the Gift Shop. All of our positions involve contact with patients on some level.
- My older brother got to work in a lab. It was very cool. I might like to do that.
- We no longer offer lab or clerical assignments.
- I just had a physical. Why do I need a health appointment?
- Your safety and the safety of our patients and staff is our first priority. The only way we can assure that is when you have been seen by our staff at Occupational Medicine. The will also confirm that your vaccinations and other health-related requirements are up-to-date.
- If I don’t find the placement I want, can I “shadow” someone?
- Unfortunately, Friends of Strong does not handle shadowing situations. You must contact a department directly to arrange a shadowing opportunity.