The holidays can be overwhelming with different food choices. Jill Chodak, R.D., C.D.N., offers some recipes for vegan and vegetarian appetizers that can help your holiday be fiber-rich and flavorful.
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- ½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup sparkling grape juice
- 1 bottle of sparkling water
Mix all together in a pitcher and can serve with ice in a fancy glass.
Vegan Taco Dip
- 1 container of vegan sour cream (or you can make your own cashew cheese at home — see vegan stuffed shell recipe)
- 1 container of spicy black bean dip or 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Ortega Taco Sauce, mild
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 pkg vegan shredded cheese
- Optional: You can add jalapenos and/or guacamole
- Mix sour cream and bean dip/beans in a large bowl until well integrated.
- Spread in a long shallow, edged pan evenly.
- Drizzle taco sauce over the sour cream mixture so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle on lettuce and tomatoes and cheese evenly.
- Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips or anything that can scoop!
Baked Potato Broccoli Bites
- 1 small bag of baby potatoes, par-boiled for 6-10 minutes
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 crown of broccoli, small pieces removed (they should look like little trees)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for about 6-10 minutes. Can add broccoli in there for softer bite, if desired.
- Drain and spread on sheet pan.
- Smash gently with back of bowl.
- Press broccoli trees into potatoes, sprinkle with cheese and then drizzle with avocado or other high heat oil.
- Bake for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- 8 dates, soaked and pitted
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Raspberries for garnish
- Mix all but berries in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with raspberries and vegan whipped cream, as desired.
Tip: You can also use this as a base for chocolate cream pie.