The residency program in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Rochester originated an integrated, categorical anesthesiology curriculum and non- clinical residency tracks.
Our program’s mission is to be an innovator of anesthesiology residency education, to produce leaders in perioperative medicine, and provide state- of- the art care to the communities of the Finger Lakes region. Our mission is driven by the University of Rochester’s motto, "Meliora," to constantly strive for improvement, advancement, and excellence.
You can also follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
The University of Rochester has had a continuously ACGME accredited residency training program in anesthesiology since September, 1958. It is, therefore, no wonder that resident education is at the core of our department’s mission. We have not had unfilled residency positions after the Match for at least the last 13 years. For the 2021- 22 recruitment season, we will be offering 16 positions in our integrated, categorical residency program. All positions will begin on or about July 1, 2022.
Our Program Aims
- To educate anesthesiology residents in the perioperative care of children and adults presenting for elective and emergency procedures through supervised patient care and experiential learning activities incorporating state- of- the- art technology.
- To prepare anesthesiology residents to be leaders of multidisciplinary perioperative teams dedicated to the delivery of patient centered care, patient safety, and quality improvement by providing early exposure to clinical anesthesia and deliberately pairing clinical base year experiences with subspecialty anesthesia rotations in order to emphasize perioperative medicine.
- To foster the personalized development of anesthesiology resident scholarly interests through participation in non- clinical tracks focusing on medical education, management, and research, thereby empowering graduates to become leaders in their future practice environments.
- To emphasize the interconnectedness of quality patient care and physician health and wellbeing by providing a supportive and collaborative clinical learning environment and instituting a curriculum supportive of post- graduate medical trainees’ needs.
- To recruit trainees with diverse backgrounds and interests, aid in their placement in competitive sub- specialty fellowship training programs, retain high quality graduates for the University of Rochester health system, and prepare anesthesiologists for academic and private practice settings throughout the Finger Lakes region, and beyond.
Anesthesiology Residency Brochure
Welcome from the Program Director