Welcome to our webpage and thank you for your interest in our residency program! In lieu of visiting our campus during outside rotations and interview days, we have overhauled our website to give you a better flavor of our residents, department, and hospital. We hope that you find the website more informational and user friendly and that the addition of a video tour and interviews with our faculty and residents will impart the friendly, family style atmosphere of our program and department. You can also follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
The residency program in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Rochester originated an integrated, categorical anesthesiology curriculum and non- clinical residency tracks. Our program’s mission is to be an innovator of anesthesiology residency education, to produce leaders in perioperative medicine, and provide state- of- the art care to the communities of the Finger Lakes region. Our mission is driven by the University of Rochester’s motto, "Meliora," to constantly strive for improvement, advancement, and excellence.
Our Program Aims
- To educate anesthesiology residents in the perioperative care of children and adults presenting for elective and emergency procedures through supervised patient care and experiential learning activities incorporating state- of- the- art technology.
- To prepare anesthesiology residents to be leaders of multidisciplinary perioperative teams dedicated to the delivery of patient centered care, patient safety, and quality improvement by providing early exposure to clinical anesthesia and deliberately pairing clinical base year experiences with subspecialty anesthesia rotations in order to emphasize perioperative medicine.
- To foster the personalized development of anesthesiology resident scholarly interests through participation in non- clinical tracks focusing on medical education, management, and research, thereby empowering graduates to become leaders in their future practice environments.
- To emphasize the interconnectedness of quality patient care and physician health and wellbeing by providing a supportive and collaborative clinical learning environment and instituting a curriculum supportive of post- graduate medical trainees’ needs.
- To recruit trainees with diverse backgrounds and interests, aid in their placement in competitive sub- specialty fellowship training programs, retain high quality graduates for the University of Rochester health system, and prepare anesthesiologists for academic and private practice settings throughout the Finger Lakes region, and beyond.
The University of Rochester has had a continuously ACGME accredited residency training program in anesthesiology since September, 1958. It is, therefore, no wonder that resident education is at the core of our department’s mission. We have not had unfilled residency positions after the Match for at least the last 12 years. For the 2020- 21 recruitment season, we will be offering 16 positions in our integrated, categorical residency program, and one physician “R” position for applicants who have completed at least one year of post- graduate medical training. All positions will begin on or about July 1, 2021.
Anesthesiology Residency Brochure
Welcome from the Program Director