How to Apply
Application Requirements | Interview Information | Travel and Lodging
Submit your application through The Electronic Residency Application Service
NRMP Program Numbers
Categorical Internal Medicine: 1511140C0
Primary Care Internal Medicine: 1511140M0
Internal Medicine/Research Pathway: 1511140C1
Preliminary Internal Medicine: 1511140P0
- The University of Rochester Internal Medicine Residency Program accepts PGY-1 applications only through ERAS®, the Electronic Residency Application Service administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
- Within ERAS our program is listed as University of Rochester/Internal Medicine. We offer four tracks: UR Categorical at Strong Memorial, UR Primary Care Track at Strong Memorial, UR Research Pathway at Strong Memorial, and UR Preliminary at Strong Memorial. Please be sure to select the appropriate track(s).
- We select candidates for PGY1 positions ONLY through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). We never offer positions outside the match.
- We use email as our primary method of communicating with applicants. Please check your email frequently.
New PGY-1 applications and supporting documents must be received at the ERAS Post Office no later than December 1st.
The following items are required as part of your ERAS application
- Personal statement—This is a brief narrative statement discussing your interest in this particular internship, plans for residency training, and your career goals in medicine.
- Official medical school transcript .
- MSPE (Dean's Letter) —Ask your medical school to provide a copy of your MSPE. Must be received through ERAS by November 1st.
- Letters of recommendation—In addition to an "official department of medicine letter," request at least two letters of recommendation. At least one of these should be from an internal medicine faculty member at your medical school, or faculty from schools where you have taken electives. If no "official departmental letter" is available at your school, request at least three letters of recommendation.
- Official USMLE transcript. A passing Step 1 score is required prior to interview invitation, and passage of both parts of Step 2 is required in order to be ranked.
- A recent photograph.
Research Pathway Candidates
- In addition to the above requirements, research pathway applicants' ERAS application must include a detailed letter from a research mentor describing their research and their potential to be an independent researcher in the future.
- For additional detail about the application process for research pathway applicants please visit the research pathway applicant information site.
- Successful applicants have all completed medical school graduation within 2 years of application.
- If you require a visa, University of Rochester Medical Center supports only J-1 visas for Graduate Medical Education.
- Foreign medical school graduates must be certified by ECFMG, and meet the specific criteria of the University of Rochester Medicine Residency Program to be considered.
- Categorical and Primary Care Program interviews are held on Mondays and Fridays from October through December
- Preliminary Program interviews are held on Fridays in January
- The interview day begins at 7:10am and concludes around 2:00pm
Dinner with Residents
Our residents are our program's greatest strength. Although it is not absolutely required, all applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a casual dinner with current residents the evening before to meet our residents and learn more about our program. The dinner is often cited by applicants as being the best and most informative part of their interview experience, so please plan your travel accordingly to make this a part of your interview experience. The dinner typically starts at 6:30pm with transportation for those staying at the hotel leaving around 6:00pm. If you arrive later than 6:30pm and would still like to attend the dinner, please check at the front desk for directions or help with transportation. Spouses and significant others are welcome to attend dinner with the residents.
Travel & Lodging
We provide one night's complementary lodging the night before the interview (two nights for Research Pathway candidates). Lodging is at the Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/University & Medical Center; 30 Celebration Drive, Rochester, York 14620. There is free shuttle service to and from the airport.