Michael J. Zuscik
Ph.D. 1993 University of Rochester
Associate Professor of Orthopaedics, Director of Educational Programs, CMSR
Primary Affiliation: Department of Orthopaedics
Center Affiliation: Center for Musculoskeletal Research
The central focus of our research can be divided programmatically into two parts: 1) the study of the contribution of chondrogenesis and chondrocyte differentiation to the process of fracture repair and 2) the study of the behavior of the articular chondrocyte under normal conditions in healthy joints and during pathologic situations such as joint degeneration. The complex interplay between several key signaling mechanisms, including the TGF-beta, Wnt/beta-catenin and PTH/PTHrP pathways, are important for modulating chondrocyte differentiation and physiology and thus have a critical contribution to play during the fracture healing and joint maintenance/disease. Understanding the specific role of each will lead us to a better understanding of these processes in general and will enable us to design strategies for addressing diverse clinical problems spanning from non-union of fractures to osteoarthritis.
Impact of Cigarette Smoking on Fracture Repair
The Molecular Pathogenesis of Osteoarthritis
Development of Chondro-regenerative Therapies for Osteoarthritis
- E.R. Sampson, M.J. Hilton, Y. Tian, D. Chen, E.M. Schwarz, R.M. Mooney, S.V. Bukata, R.J. O’Keefe, H. Awad, J.E. Puzas, R.N. Rosier and M.J. Zuscik, Teriparatide as a chondro-regenerative therapy for injury-induced knee osteoarthritis, Science Trans Med, in press 2011.
- M.H. Kung, J. Yukata, R.J. O'Keefe and M.J. Zuscik, Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated impairment of chondrogenesis and fracture healing by cigarette smoke and benzo(a) pyrene, J. Cell Physiol, in press 2011.
- E.R. Sampson, C.A. Beck, J. Ketz, K.L. Canary, M.J. Hilton, H. Awad, E.M. Schwarz, D. Chen, R.J. O'Keefe, R.N. Rosier and M.J. Zuscik, Establishment of an index with increased sensitivity for assessing murine arthritis, J Orthop Res, in press 2011.
- M. Zhu, D. Tang, Q. Wu, S. Hao, M. Chen, C. Xie, R.N. Rosier, R.J. O'Keefe, M.J. Zuscik nd D. Chen, Activation of beta-catenin signaling in articular chondrocytes leads to osteoarthritis-like phenotype in adult beta-catenin conditional activation mice, J Bone Miner Res, 24 (2009) 12-21.
- J.C. Elfar, J.A. Jacobson, J.E. Puzas, R.N. Rosier and M.J. Zuscik, Erythropoietin accelerates functional recovery after peripheral nerve injury, J Bone Joint Surg Am, 90 (2008) 1644-1653.
- Q. Wu, K.O. Kim, E.R. Sampson, D. Chen, H. Awad, T. O'Brien, J.E. Puzas, H. Drissi, E.M. Schwarz, R.J. O'Keefe, M.J. Zuscik and R.N. Rosier, Induction of an osteoarthritis-like phenotype and degradation of phosphorylated Smad3 by Smurf2 in transgenic mice, Arthritis Rheum, 58 (2008) 3132-3144.
- Zuscik M, Hilton MJ, Zhang X, Chen D, and O’Keefe RJ. (2008). Regulation of Chondrogenesis and Chondrocyte Differentiation by Stress. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 118(2): 429-38.
Graduate Program Affiliations