Family Therapy Training Program Mission
UR MS MFT Mission Statement
We prepare competent relational/systemic therapists (MFTs) to care for and promote biopsychosocial/whole health with people across diverse communities.
The MS MFT Program commits to the following program goals and student learning outcomes*:
Program Goal 1: Demonstrate knowledge of the MFT Profession
- SLO 1: Students will demonstrate knowledge of the history, key systemic ideas and theoretical approaches of the Marriage and Family Therapy profession.
- SLO 2: Students will demonstrate knowledge of MFT professional networks (national, state and international).
- SLO 3: Students will demonstrate knowledge and skill as advocates for MFT profession and relevant family/systems-oriented law and policies.
Program Goal 2: Demonstrate ability to provide culturally-attuned, evidence-informed, ethical care to a broad diversity of patients and families as a self-reflective relational systemic clinician.
- SLO 4: Students will demonstrate culturally-attuned care for a diverse caseload.
- SLO 5: Students will demonstrate evidence-informed assessment and treatment of individuals and relational systems.
- SLO 6: Students will demonstrate ethical practice aligned with the AAMFT Code of Ethics and pertinent regulatory bodies.
- SLO 7: Students will demonstrate self-reflective practices about their clinical work.
- SLO 8: Students will demonstrate biopsychosocial (whole health) and relational systemic clinical skills.
- SLO 9: Students will demonstrate collaborative skills with interdisciplinary colleagues.
Program Goal 3: Demonstrate lifelong learning practices.
- SLO 10: Students will establish a continuous individualized learning plan that is reflective of self-of-the-therapist growth, ongoing professional improvement, and effective ethical culturally-attuned treatment for diverse populations.
- SLO 11: Students will demonstrate the ability to stay current with the evolving body of MFT knowledge as well as evidence-informed best practices to build foundational skills for maintaining professional competency post-graduation.
* Additional details about the specific measures supporting our program goals and student learning outcomes (outcome-based education framework) can be viewed below:
UR MS MFT Program Goals PDF
UR MS MFT OBE Framework PDF