The following points contribute to the UR Child Neurology program’s reputation for excellence:
- URMC serves as a primary referral center for pediatric patients, including not only the greater Rochester area, but southern, eastern, and northern regions of New York State and northern Pennsylvania.
- The large breadth and depth of faculty, including internationally recognized teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- Diverse faculty specialties include Epilepsy, Movement disorders, ADHD, Neurogenetics and metabolic diseases, Neuro-toxicology, Neuroimmunology and Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis, Neurocutaneous disorders, Headache, Neuromuscular disease and Leukodystrophies.
- Superb teaching by full-time academic clinicians.
- Continued full accreditation for our residency program.
- The program’s dedication to resident well-being in addition to resident education.
- A significant amount of training time dedicated to outpatient neurology (>50% in the neurology years). This includes significant subspecialty clinic exposure and plenty of elective time.
- A highly flexible residency format that allows residents to choose different paths based on their future career goals (e.g. research path, medical education path, global health path, practice path).
- A close-knit, friendly "family" atmosphere among faculty and residents.
- No in-house call for the final two (child neurology focused) residency years.
- The affordable and high quality lifestyle provided by the City of Rochester and surrounding suburbs.
- A focus on training residents how to be great teachers.
- Consistently ranking as a top neurology department in the United States for extramural research funding from the National Institute of Health
- The Department serves as the coordination center for many large multicenter therapeutic trials in neurology.