Molecular Genetic Pathology
The Molecular Genetic Pathology Unit at Strong Memorial Hospital is a division of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
The focus of our unit is to provide URMC physicians with molecular information that will facilitate the diagnosis of diseases, monitor the treatment and prognosis of patients and assist in the selection of appropriate therapeutic options. Our facility uses innovative genomic technologies to interrogate and identify disease related entities in hematologic malignancies, solid tumors, infectious diseases and inherited diseases. Working closely with our clinicians, our mission is to provide precision medicine of the highest quality with a direct impact on patient care.
We are comprised of three main laboratories: Molecular Diagnostics, Cytogenetics, and Microarray. Each laboratory is CLIA-certified and accredited by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
The Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory offers molecular pathology services in infectious disease, transplant, genetic, hematologic neoplasms and solid tumors. Read more about Molecular Diagnostics…
The Cytogenetics Laboratory provides constitutional and neoplastic analysis of various specimens using conventional chromosome G-banding and molecular techniques to detect genetic abnormalities that may be acquired in cancer patients or to diagnose constitutional abnormalities such as micro-deletion syndromes. Read more about Cytogenetics…
The Microarray Laboratory provides access to a complete range of microarray CGH testing for postnatal, prenatal and cancer patients. It is the first lab of its kind to receive NYS approval to run microarray CGH testing. Read more about Microarray…
- W. Richard Burack, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Director of Hematopathology and Molecular Genetic Pathology
- M. Anwar Iqbal, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Director of the Microarray CGH Laboratory, Director of Clinical Cytogenetics development and Associate Director of the Cytogenetics Laboratory.
- Nicole Pecora, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Assistant Director of Microbiology
- Paul Rothberg, Ph.D., Professor, Director of the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
- Bin Zhang, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Director of Cytogenetics Laboratory
Contact Director, W. Richard Burack at (585) 273-1885.