Presentations and Workshops
Mindful Practice for Healthcare Professionals
A Contemplative Approach to Engagement and Resilience
March 9-11, 2018
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, Stockbridge, MA
Enhance your well-being, build resilience, and address burnout with a mindfulness-based approach that includes meditation, narrative medicine, and appreciative inquiry. This embodied practice includes building awareness of and giving attention to cognitive, emotional, and somatic aspects of experience, weaving them into contemplative movement and reflection. This program includes both didactic and discussion elements, and is built on a base of published, empirical evidence that has demonstrated improvements in burnout levels, physical and mental well-being, and relationships relating to patient care.
You will receive an overview of mindful practice and the evidence of its effectiveness, and explore real-life challenges facing healthcare professionals, through sharing clinical narratives related to the themes of burnout, suffering, grief, errors, resilience, and teamwork.
Chapin Mill Workshops
Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY
Enhancing Quality of Care, Quality of Caring, and Resilience
Image courtesy of the Rochester Zen Center
April 25 - 28, 2018
October 24 - 27, 2018
A 4-day retreat-like workshop designed to improve the quality of care that clinicians provide while improving their own resilience and well-being.
It offers an experiential learning environment, with a focus on developing the capacity for self-awareness in stressful and demanding situations.
Designed for medical practitioners (physicians, NPs, PAs) and others involved in medical practice and education. No prior experience is required; however, experience with meditation or other contemplative practices is desirable.
Session themes include communication with patients/families, responding to suffering, difficult decisions, errors, professionalism, medical education, compassion, self-care, resilience, and burnout.
Course Directors: Ron Epstein, MD and Mick Krasner, MD
Details: Workshops begin Wednesday 6 p.m. and end Saturday 2:30 p.m. Lodging and meals are at the Retreat Center.
Accreditation: The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Registration for April's course is now open! REGISTER NOW
Mindful Practice Teacher Training
Spring, 2019-Registration will open Summer of 2018
A 5-day, retreat-like workshop designed to enable clinicians and medical educators deepen their skills in mindful practice and their ability to teach and develop programs in mindful practice at their home institutions. Mindful practice promotes effective, efficient and compassionate care while also improving clinicians' own resilience and well-being by building clinicians' attentiveness, situational awareness, self-awareness, teamwork, and self-monitoring in stressful and demanding clinical situations. The workshop helps participants define and realize their learning goals in an experiential learning environment.
Designed for medical practitioners (physicians, NPs, PAs) and others involved in medical practice and medical education, the program combines didactic presentations and training in conducting experiential exercises using narratives, appreciative inquiry, and contemplative practices such as mindfulness meditation. Session themes address attention, suffering, teamwork, difficult conversations with patients/families, uncertainty in medicine, medical education, grief and loss, resilience and compassion.
The workshop will offer hands-on experience in teaching and facilitation. It is designed for those who wish to advance their teaching skills and to support efforts at implementing Mindful Practice® curricula in their own settings. Course is by application only and upon acceptance you will be directed to a registration website. Prior attendance at a Mindful Practice® workshop is required.
Course Directors: Ron Epstein, M.D. and Mick Krasner, M.D.
Sponsored by: The Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center
Location/Accommodations: Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY
Presentations and Workshops
- January 9: New York Hospital Association, New York, NY (RE)
- February 4-5: Mindful Practice Introductory Workshop, University of California, San Diego, CA (MK and RE)
- February 6: Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC (RE)
- February 22-24: American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Phoenix, AZ (RE and FM)
- February 24-25: St. Boniface Hospital Research Center, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (MK)
- March 17: Computers in Medicine Conference, Providence, RI (RE and MK)
- March 18-19: Mindful Practice Introductory Workshop, Massachusetts Medical Society, Boston, MA (MK and RE)
- March 25-26: Massachusetts Medical Society, Boston, MA (MK and RE)
- March 30-31: Gold Humanism Honor Society National Conference, Chicago, IL (RE)
- April 21: Society for General Internal Medicine, Washington, DC (MK)
- May 3-6: Mindful Practice Initial Workshop, Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY (RE, MK, PL, FM)
- May 5: Northeast Group on Educational Affairs, Rochester, NY (RE)
- May 8: Arnold P Gold Foundation, Chicago, IL (RE)
- May 17: Leadership Webinar, Corning Corporation, Corning, NY (MK)
- June 3: American Society for Clinical Oncology, Chicago, IL (RE)
- June 7-9: International Conference on Mindfulness, Sao Paolo, Brazil (RE)
- October 24-28: Mindful Practice Teacher Training Workshop, Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY (RE, MK, PL, FM)