Presentations and Workshops
Chapin Mill Workshops
Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY
Mindful Practice: Enhancing Quality of Care, Quality of Caring, and Resilience
Image courtesy of the Rochester Zen Center
April 25 - 28, 2018 & October 24 - 27, 2018
A 4-day retreat-like workshop designed to improve the quality of care that clinicians provide while improving their own resilience and well-being.
It offers an experiential learning environment, with a focus on developing the capacity for self-awareness in stressful and demanding situations.
Designed for medical practitioners (physicians, NPs, PAs) and others involved in medical practice and education. No prior experience is required; however, experience with meditation or other contemplative practices is desirable.
Session themes include communication with patients/families, responding to suffering, difficult decisions, errors, professionalism, medical education, compassion, self-care, resilience, and burnout.
Course Directors: Ronald Epstein, M.D. and Mick Krasner, M.D.
Details: Workshops begin Wednesday 6 p.m. and end Saturday 2:30 p.m. Lodging and meals are at the Retreat Center.
Accreditation: The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Registration for April's course is now open! REGISTER NOW
Mindful Practice Teacher Training
October 24-28, 2017
A 5-day, retreat-like workshop designed to enable clinicians and medical educators deepen their skills in mindful practice and their ability to teach and develop programs in mindful practice at their home institutions. Mindful practice promotes effective, efficient and compassionate care while also improving clinicians' own resilience and well-being by building clinicians' attentiveness, situational awareness, self-awareness, teamwork, and self-monitoring in stressful and demanding clinical situations. The workshop helps participants define and realize their learning goals in an experiential learning environment.
Designed for medical practitioners (physicians, NPs, PAs) and others involved in medical practice and medical education, the program combines didactic presentations and training in conducting experiential exercises using narratives, appreciative inquiry, and contemplative practices such as mindfulness meditation. Session themes address attention, suffering, teamwork, difficult conversations with patients/families, uncertainty in medicine, medical education, grief and loss, resilience and compassion.
The workshop will offer hands-on experience in teaching and facilitation. It is designed for those who wish to advance their teaching skills and to support efforts at implementing Mindful Practice® curricula in their own settings. Course is by application only and upon acceptance you will be directed to a registration website. Prior attendance at a Mindful Practice® workshop is required.
Course Description and Application Form. Workshop is at capacity, we are no longer taking applications at this time. Course will be available again in Spring 2019. Early registration is recommended. Registration will be open Summer of 2018.
Course Directors: Ron Epstein, M.D. and Mick Krasner, M.D.
Sponsored by: The Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center
Location/Accommodations: Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY
Presentations and Workshops
- February 11: Brown University Alpert School of Medicine (MK)
- February 24: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (MK)
- March 4: Mindfulness & Health Conference, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY (MK and RE)
- March 5: Children's Hospital of Orange County, California (MK)
- March 18-20: International Forum on General Practice Education and Development of Medical Service, Wenzhou, China (RE)
- April 20: Physicians Reciprocal Insurer, Roslyn, NY (MK)
- April 22: Alzheimer's Association of Western New York, Buffalo, NY (MK)
- May 2-6: Mindful Practice Advanced Workshop, Chapin Mill, Batavia, NY (MK and RE)
- May 9-13: Mindful Practice Workshop, Sweden, Netherlands (RE)
- June 15: Nazareth College, Rochester, NY (MK)
- June 16-18: Rediscovering Meaning in our Work Conference, Sun Valley, Idaho (MK)
- June 22: Brown University Alpert School of Medicine (MK)
- July 12-19: Continuing Education in Umbria, Italy (MK)
- July 14: GWish Annual Spirituality & Health Conference, Washington, DC (RE)
- August 18: West Coast FM Radio, Swakopmund, Namibia (MK)
- August 20: Institute for Mindfulness in South Africa, Teachers Sangha Retreat, Bodhi Kaya, Eastern Cape, South Africa (MK)
- September 9: Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium, San Francisco, CA (RE)
- October 7: University of Louisville (RE)
- October 21: American Academy of Pediatrics Mid-Career Neonatology Section, San Francisco, CA (MK)
- October 26-29: Mindful Practice Workshop, Chapin Mill, Batavia, NY (MK and RE)
- November 7-9: International Conference on Person-Centered Medicine, Madrid, Spain (RE)
- November 10-11: Case Western Reserve School of Medicine (MK)
- November 12: AAMC, Seattle, WA (MK)
- November 13: International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, San Diego, CA (MK)
- December 5: University of West Virginia (RE)
- December 9: Woodhull Medical Center (MK)
- December 14: Medical Faculty and Clinician Wellness Series, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY (MK)
- December 17: National Parkinson's Foundation, Rochester, NY (MK)
- January 9: New York Hospital Association, New York, NY (RE)
- February 4-5: Mindful Practice Introductory Workshop, University of California, San Diego, CA (MK and RE)
- February 6: Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC (RE)
- February 22-24: American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Phoenix, AZ (RE and FM)
- February 24-25: St. Boniface Hospital Research Center, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (MK)
- March 17: Computers in Medicine Conference, Providence, RI (RE and MK)
- March 18-19: Mindful Practice Introductory Workshop, Massachusetts Medical Society, Boston, MA (MK and RE)
- March 25-26: Massachusetts Medical Society, Boston, MA (MK and RE)
- March 30-31: Gold Humanism Honor Society National Conference, Chicago, IL (RE)
- April 21: Society for General Internal Medicine, Washington, DC (MK)
- May 3-6: Mindful Practice Initial Workshop, Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY (RE, MK, PL, FM)
- May 5: Northeast Group on Educational Affairs, Rochester, NY (RE)
- May 8: Arnold P Gold Foundation, Chicago, IL (RE)
- May 17: Leadership Webinar, Corning Corporation, Corning, NY (MK)
- June 3: American Society for Clinical Oncology, Chicago, IL (RE)
- June 7-9: International Conference on Mindfulness, Sao Paolo, Brazil (RE)
- October 24-28: Mindful Practice Teacher Training Workshop, Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY (RE, MK, PL, FM)