Borrow, Renew, Request
Items in the Library collection may be found by searching DiscoverUR. For more information about how to use Discover UR, see our Discover UR Libguide. If you need assistance locating an item, please ask at the Answer Desk.
General Loan Periods
- Books - 3 months
- Course Reserve Material - 2 hours*
- Graphic Medicine Collection - 3 weeks
- Humanities Book Collection - 3 weeks
- Laptop, Charging Unit/Power Supply, Headphones - Due back same day 15 minutes before library closing time
*Course reserve material checked out less than 2 hours prior to the Library closing are due back no later than fifteen minutes before close. Some course reserve materials may have a longer loan period, if requested by instructor.
Note: Reference materials and journals do not circulate outside the Library.
Renewals and Holds
Renewing material or placing a hold may be done in person at the Answer Desk (or any other UR library), by phone (585) 275-3361, or online through your Library Account.
Most items will auto-renew and can be renewed three times.
To renew items online:
- Log in to your Library Account .
- Select item(s) you want to renew by clicking the checkbox(es) on the left.
- Click the "Renew Items" button.
- Check status and due date to verify renewal was processed. Status should be "Renewed" and new due date should be displayed.
- Log out.
Renewals may not be granted if:
- Item has been requested by another patron (a hold has been placed)
- Item is on course reserve
- Maximum number of renewals has been reached
- Fees on your account are $25 or more
A hold may be placed if the item needed is already checked out. When the item is returned, the requestor will be notified. Holds are available for pick up at the Answer Desk.
Two overdue reminders are sent. If an item is not returned after the second overdue notice, it is considered lost and replacement charges are billed.
Replacement costs for lost or damaged items:
- Book - a $50 fee is charged by default. Actual replacement fees will be determined on an individual item basis.
- Mac Laptop - $2,500
- PC Laptop - $1,500
- Charging Unit/Power Supply, Headphones -- $50
Replacement costs are cleared when a "lost" item is returned.
If you have $25 or more in fees or items that are more than one month overdue, your library privileges may be suspended.
Proxy borrowing allows faculty and staff to authorize designated individuals to check out library materials on their behalf. The faculty or staff member is responsible for materials. You may have multiple proxy borrowers and authorizations must be renewed on an annual basis.
Contact the Answer Desk at (585) 275-3361 or Answer Desk.