Faculty in the Hospital Medicine Division play a major role in educating residents and medical students, residents, practicing physicians, and interprofessional teams in the general medical care of adult inpatients. Each resident team is aligned with a teaching hospitalist, who conducts daily attending rounds. Hospitalists precept and mentor medical students, direct educational programs for the residency program and medical school, and conduct research on innovative approaches to medical education. Several hospitalists are leaders in national medical education organizations and have completed advanced training in medical education.
Division faculty members provide over 5,000 hours of teaching annually, and they lead educational programs for medical students, residents and advanced practice providers (APPs). In their role as teaching attending, HMD faculty members continue the long-standing Rochester tradition of teaching at the bedside to strengthen fundamental clinical skills.
The Hospital Medicine Division is also continuously educating our faculty through a CME-accredited faculty development program. Topics include diagnostic reasoning, palliative care, quality and safety, clinical pathological correlations, teaching skills, scholarship skills, and a variety of clinical topics to ensure our faculty are equipped to provide the highest quality educational experiences, clinical care, and scholarship. Hospitalist faculty and the educational experiences provided by the Hospital Medicine Division are consistently among the most highly rated by our medical students.
- Dr. Amy Blatt, Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program, oversees educational activities for residents in the Department of Medicine.
- Dr. Amit Dhamoon is Associate Director of the Primary Care Clerkship.
- Dr. Ellie Garbade is a Clinical Assessor in the medical student program.
- Dr. Catie Glatz is a Clinical Assessor in the medical student program.
- Dr. Valerie Lang is Associate Chair for Medical Education Research and Scholarship, Director of the Hospital Medicine Faculty Development program, and Co-Director of the Clinical Teaching course in the Masters in Health Professions Education program.
- Dr. William Novak is the Associate Program Director for the Internal Residency Program.
- Dr. Alec O'Connor is Associate Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency.
- Dr. Debra Ogie directs educational activities for the Hospital Medicine Advanced Practice Provider (APP) group.
- Dr. Brett Robbins is the Vice Chair of Education for the Department of Medicine. He is also the director of the Medicine/Pediatrics residency training program and Assistant Designated Institutional Official (DIO) for all ACGME-designated medical training programs.
- Dr. David Staudt is Associate Course Director for the Meliora in Medicine course and oversees the medical student point of care ultrasound (POCUS) curriculum.
- Dr. Meghan Train is Assistant Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency and Associate Course Director for the Meliora in Medicine course.
- Dr. Jennifer Zagursky is a Clinical Assessor in the medical student program