Faculty in the Hospital Medicine Division play a major role in educating residents and medical students in the general medical care of adult inpatients. Each resident team is aligned with a teaching hospitalist, who conducts daily attending rounds. Hospitalists precept and mentor medical students, direct educational programs for the residency program and medical school, and conduct research on innovative approaches to medical education. Several hospitalists are leaders on a national level in medical education organizations and have completed advanced training in medical education.
Division faculty members provide over 4,000 hours of teaching annually and they lead educational programs for medical students, residents and advanced practice providers (APPs). In their role as teaching attending, HMD faculty members continue the long-standing Rochester tradition of teaching at the bedside to strengthen fundamental clinical skills.
The Hospital Medicine Division is also continuously educating our faculty through a CME-accredited faculty development program. The program includes case conferences, didactic clinical sessions, quality and safety rounds, career development, and patient experience sessions to ensure our faculty are equipped to provide the highest quality educational experiences and clinical care. In fact, the 2016 AAMC Medical Student Graduate Questionnaire ranked the Division significantly above national averages in quality of educational experiences and quality of faculty teaching.
- Dr. Alec O'Connor, Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program, oversees educational activities for residents in the Department of Medicine.
- Dr. Brett Robbins is the Vice Chair of Education for the Department of Medicine. He is also the director of the Medicine/Pediatrics residency training program and assistant designated institutional official for all ACGME-designated medical training programs.
- Dr. William Novak is the Associate Program Director for the Internal Residency Program.
- Dr. Amy Blatt is the Medicine Clerkship Director for third-year medical students and Associate Director of the Internal Medicine Pediatric Residency Program.
- Dr. Valerie Lang is the Director of the Meliora in Medicine program for the medical school. She is the former President of Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine (CDIM), the national organization for medical student education in internal medicine.
- Dr. Debra Ogie directs educational activities for the Hospital Medicine Advanced Practice Provider (APP) group.
- Dr. Jennifer Pascoe is the Associate Clerkship Director for third-year medical students.
- Dr. Jennifer Readlynn is the Acting Internships Director for fourth-year medical students.