Donor Sperm Insemination Program
You will need to select and order your donor sperm specimen from the list of banks provided below. (We are not able to accept sperm from facilities which do not hold a New York State tissue bank license.)
Purchasing Your Donor Sperm Specimen
*Please note that the recipient of the donor sperm should be the person ordering the sperm sample.
Once you are ready to proceed with purchasing your donor sperm specimen, send a MyChart message to your provider when you have selected and purchased your sperm donor sample(s). This is to ensure the lab is aware that your donor sample(s) is being shipped.
- If the sperm donor you have selected is a CARRIER for any genetic conditions tested:
- Complete genetic counseling appointment through selected sperm bank (required).
- Call (585) 487-3378 to schedule genetic screening blood work at Strong Fertility Center. We will screen for the same traits for which your donor is a carrier. Results are available in approximately two weeks from day of blood draw (recommended).
Sign Genetic Screening Waiver for Recipients Using Anonymous Donor Sperm stating you are choosing to waive genetic screening and have been counseled on the risks of moving forward with a donor who is a known carrier of genetic mutations for any number of recessive condition.
- If you are CMV negative and have chosen a CMV positive sperm donor:
- Sign Consent to Use Donor Sperm to Attempt Pregnancy and to accept sperm from a CMV IgG positive donor.
You will need to arrange to have your sample shipped prior to your insemination. We have storage facilities here to keep your sample safe until you need it, and you won’t run the risk of shipping delays which could cause you to miss your ovulation. If possible, we urge you to purchase pre-washed samples (IUI ready). It is the anticipation that you will be using your specimen within 3 months of having it shipped to our facility, if the specimen is going to be stored for longer than that, there will be storage costs.
Patients Using Urine LH Testing (Ovulation Predictor Kits)
Patients using urine LH testing (ovulation predictor kits) should use the following guidelines:
- Sunday through Friday, use ovulation predictor test kit once daily (NOT the first urine of the morning). Call with a positive result and schedule IUI for the following day.
- Saturday, use test kit in the morning, preferably not the first urine of the morning, and call immediately with a positive test result to determine if we will be scheduling your dIUI on Saturday or Sunday. Calls must be received by 9:00 a.m. to accommodate scheduling.
- For holidays that fall on a Monday, the office will be open on Sunday and closed on Monday. In this circumstance, test in the morning on Sunday for a same-day IUI appointment, call by 9:00 a.m. to accommodate scheduling.
The Insemination Process
The insemination process is quite simple. A speculum is placed into the vagina in order to view the cervix (similar to a pap smear). The sperm is then drawn up into a very thin plastic tube (catheter). The catheter is passed through the cervix and the sperm is deposited into the uterine cavity. You will then remain on the exam table for an additional 10-15 minutes. The process is not painful, but some women may experience mild cramping.
- Scheduling: (585) 487-3378
- Fax: (585) 334-8998
- Billing (585) 487-3443
Strong Fertility Center
500 Red Creek Drive, Suite 220
Rochester, NY 14623