Monthly Health Observances: What's New this Month?
Members of our team share helpful tips and takeaways throughout the year.
- Registered Dietitian Bethany Moran recently shared her thoughts about the rewarding nature of her work in why I love being an RD on the CCHP team.
- Our team of Registered Dietitians can support you in achieving your health goals. For example, Lead Dietitian April Ho, RD, CPT, shares areas to consider for fueling a healthy body for YOU.
- Planning a springtime hike? Lead Lifestyle Counselor Jennifer Lee, CPT, TTS, shares tips for selecting snacks to fuel your next outdoor adventure.
- Many people care about making responsible food choices with sustainability in mind. But, due to the many layers to sustainability and the wide variety of claims and labels found on our foods, it has become increasingly overwhelming to know how to make good choices. April Ho, RD, CPT, lead dietitian at our Center, offers some tips for navigating this complex food sustainability landscape with greater ease.
- Dr. Holly Russell, medical director for clinical and community-based programs, and Jill Chodak, MS, RD, CDN, clinical dietitian, participated in a WXXI Connections program discussing the American Academy of Pediatrics' new obesity guidelines.
- Earth Day is April 22. Lifestyle counselor Lisa Nichols, MS, CRPA, RCP-F, shares some outdoor exercise for spring clean-up that will keep you moving.
- "As a coach, I have seen tons of people begin their fitness journey with a focus on 'health' in ways that brought them into unhealthy patterns," shares Lisa Nichols, lifestyle counselor and Olympic weightlifter. "It is my pleasure to be able to shine a light on it." In recognition of National Nutrition Month's “Fuel for the Future” theme, Lisa shares her personal journey with using food as fuel for fitness.
- On a recent episode of the #TrailsRoc podcast "Words from the Woods," Jill Chodak, MS, RD, CDN, talks about Nutrition Month, the role of a Registered Dietitian, nutrition for athletes and more.
- April Ho, RD, CPT, recently shared a presentation in the community about the importance of maintaining good nutrition as we get older, and what nutrients help with different health conditions often impacted by aging.
- Registered Dietitian Jill Chodak teamed up with her family to share a recipe for a simple and delicious game day snack. Check out the how-to video for Buffalo chicken wing quesadillas that she did with WROC-TV News Channel 8!
- February is American Heart Month. Lifestyle Counselor Lisa Nichols, MS, CRPA, RCP-F, shares ways to show your heart some love with physical activity, as well as opportunities to get active throughout the Rochester-area.
- Bethany Moran, RD, shares some recent findings about flavanols in dark chocolate and addresses a myth regarding health benefits of the sweet. Bottom line? While chocolate may contain beneficial properties, it is unclear how much of it would provide beneficial effects. Chocolate available on the market can also be a source of added sugars and saturated fat. So, while chocolate can certainly fit, it may be best to consume for enjoyment in moderate amounts, rather than for potential health benefits.
- In our first Got Health talk of the year, April Ho, RD, CPT, shares her expertise on building a healthy body for the new year. Learn how to view the health language used by the media, friends and family with a critical eye and what you can do to stay motivated for healthy living throughout the year.
- These simple sheet pan nachos pack a punch with fiber! Registered Dietitian Jill Chodak shares her go-to recipe and thoughts on making the most of a meal while not getting trapped in the language used about nutrition this time of year.
- Registered Dietitian Bethany Moran shares strategies for goal setting to help set yourself up for a year that feels fulfilling and successful to you.
More resources from years past.
Indoor Physical Activity Ideas for Families
Prevent Heart Disease
American Heart Association