Monthly Health Observances: What's New this Month?
Members of our team share tips related to different health observances throughout the year.
Staying Healthy During Quarantine:
- In this Channel 8 news interview, Jill Chodak, R.D., shares the importance of balance and establishing a healthy eating pattern when working from home.
National Nutrition Month:
- Homemade Kentucky Monkey Soft-Serve Ice Cream: April Ho, R.D., C.P.T., teaches Jill Chodak, R.D., how to make her original "Kentucky Monkey Soft-Serve Ice Cream." This recipe can be altered for all ages to enjoy.
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls: Melissa Roth, R.D., C.P.T., demonstrates how to make peanut butter energy balls that are full of fiber and a great post-workout snack! Find the recipe here.
- Got Health? Talk: Fad Diets, Food Myths & How Fiber Saves the Day!
- What is the role of a registered dietitian? Why would you go to see one? April Ho, R.D., C.P.T., and Nina Rosien, R.D., C.D.N., joined Fox Rochester's Matt Molloy to answer these questions and more on National Registered Dietitian Day, March 11.
- Homemade Falafel: Registered Dietitian Nina Rosien shows Jill Chodak, fellow CCHP R.D., how to make falafel using an air fryer. A great plant-based option, falafel is full of fiber, flavor and texture! Find the recipe here.
American Heart Month:
- Balancing Your Plate: Jill Chodak, R.D., teamed up with Ward Stare, Grammy-nominated music director of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, to demonstrate different heart-healthy ways to enjoy chicken parmesan while also balancing your plate.
- Experts from our clinical team took calls from community members about their various health goals and concerns during Channel 8's "Putting You First: Starting the New Year Healthy." Watch interviews with each of the experts.
- R.D. Jill Chodak offers more healthful ways to look at New Year's resolutions on this WHAM 1180 Food & Wine Show episode with host Pauly Guglielmo.
- National Bean Day is January 6! In this Democrat & Chronicle essay, Nina Rosien, R.D., shares ways to add more fiber to your plate with beans.
- Holiday Appetizers: These fiber-rich and flavorful appetizer recipes are great for the holidays! Jill Chodak, R.D., teamed up with Stacey Pensgen, meteorologist at Channel 10, to make mocktails, vegan taco dip and more. Watch here.
- Exercising in the Winter: Snowshoeing Melissa Roth, RD, CPT, joined Outdoor Program and Outreach Coordinator Kaitie Sprangers from Eastview Mall L.L.Bean to share the how-tos and great health benefits of this winter activity that's fun to do with family and friends!
Indoor Physical Activity Ideas for Families
Prevent Heart Disease
American Heart Association
Heart Risk Calculator